The On-Your-Feet Guide to Disciplinary Literacy in Science
- ReLeah Cossett Lent - ReLeah Lent Educational Consulting
- Marsha McCracken Voigt
All On-Your-Feet Guide orders receive FREE SHIPPING! Use code SHIPOYFG at check out.
How can you use literacy tools used to help students practice the behaviors of scientists? With a disciplinary literacy approach, science teachers can focus on teaching their specialized content by showing students the literacies that truly support scientific thinking – so students can read, write, think, investigate, and communicate as scientists.
This On-Your-Feet Guide will help teachers:INTRODUCTION
• Plan instruction that engages students’ natural inquiry and curiosity;
• Apprentice students toward deeper understanding of scientific concepts, terms, understandings, and text;
• Help students use their new learning to create, communicate, and participate in science;
• Teach skills required by science standards and frameworks; and
• Work with colleagues to design instructional units that incorporate both deeper content learning and science-specific literacy skills.
The strategies in this guide will help you teach students to read, write, think, and do as scientists!
On-Your-Feet Guides (OYFGs) provide you with the ultimate “cheat sheet” to implement effective change in your classroom while in the moment of teaching. Designed for accessibility, and providing step-by-step guidance, the OYFGs are written by experts who take research-based practices and make them doable for the busy teacher.
Each On-Your-Feet Guide is laminated, 8.5”x11” tri-fold (6 pages), and 3-hole punched.
Use the On-Your-Feet Guides
• When you know the “what” but need help with the “how”
• As a quick reference to support a practice you learned in a PD workshop or book
• To learn how to implement foundational practices
• When you want to help your students learn a specific strategy, routine, or approach, but aren’t sure how to do it yourself