The Media and Body Image
If Looks Could Kill
- Maggie Wykes - University of Sheffield, UK
- Barrie Gunter - University of Leicester, UK
Communication and Media Studies (General)
Yet surprisingly, little work has addressed either the nature of media representations of the body, or the ways in which audiences interpret and use such images in our contemporary cultural context.
The Media and Body Image addresses this lack and:
- Draws together literature from sociology, gender studies and psychology
- Brings together new empirical work on both media representations and audience responses
- Offers a broad discussion of this topic in the context of socio-cultural change, gender politics, and self-identity.
"Wykes and Gunter take a novel approach to familiar subjects - body image, eating disorders, Western ideals of beauty, media representations of femininity - by offering historical contextualization of the discourses surrounding each issue and articulating how these discourses relate. The upshot is a useful discussion that interrogates, rather than presumes, the effects of mass media on audiences and consumers. . . . Highly recommended."