The Basics of Media Writing
A Strategic Approach
- Scott A. Kuehn - Clarion University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Andrew Lingwall - Clarion University of Pennsylvania, USA
Journalism | Public Relations (Analysis)
The Basics of Media Writing: A Strategic Approach helps readers develop the essential writing skills and professional habits needed to succeed in 21st-century media careers. This research-driven, strategy-based media writing textbook digs deeply into how media professionals think and write in journalism, public relations, advertising, and other forms of strategic communication. Authors Scott A. Kuehn and Andrew Lingwall have created two comprehensive writing models to help students overcome their problems in finding and developing story topics by giving them “starting points” to begin writing. The Professional Strategy Triangle model shows students how to think critically about the audience, the situation, and the message before starting a news story or persuasive piece and the FAJA four-point model asks students a series of questions about their story type (Fact, Analysis, Judgment, or Action) to guide them to the right angle or organizational structure for their message. Rooted in classical rhetorical methods, this step-by-step technique enables readers to strategically approach each writing task, no matter the format.
SAGE edge for Instructors supports teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding
- A sample course syllabus provides suggested models for structuring one’s course
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for the course
- Multimedia content appeals to students with different learning styles
- Chapter-specific discussion questions help launch classroom interaction by prompting students to engage with the material and by reinforcing important content.
- Lively and stimulating ideas for class activities can be used in class to reinforce active learning.
SAGE edge for Students provides an easy-to-use learning environment, featuring:
- mobile-friendly eFlashcards and quizzes to strengthen your understanding of key terms and concepts;
- a complete online action plan to keep you on track and enhances your learning experience;
- learning objectives that reinforce the most important material; and
- multimedia resources, carefully chosen to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter.
This book has numerous examples and exercises for the students to learn how to write for all styles of media writing. The resources are great for someone that has to create a new course.
This book helps the instructors how to guide students to develop the basics of writing skills for the media across the platforms. Skills are needed to succeed as professionals and choose the best media career in this competitive age of 21st-century--that could be either in basic journalism (print to online), public relations, (media) marketing, advertising, online reporting and other forms of communication/mass communication strategies. The step-by-step technique enables students to approach writing writing tasks for different formats.