Responsible Classroom Management, Grades K–5
A Schoolwide Plan
- J. Allen Queen - University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA
- Bob Algozzine - University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA
Rooted in humanist and cognitive psychology, the authors' practical model for Responsible Classroom Management (RCMPlan) for secondary levels is specifically designed for adolescents at various stages of development. The RCMPlan uses three key principles to demonstrate how schools can use behaviour support systems to promote good citizenship and develop responsible students who can live productively in a democratic and multicultural society:
- Responsibility is taught and incorporated instructionally within a warm and inviting classroom
- Standards, guidelines and expected behaviours replace rigid school and classroom rule
- Consequences are used to teach students to self-correct inappropriate behaviors and assume responsibility for their actions.
"The Responsible Classroom Management (RMC) plan really lets teachers teach and the principal serve as the instructional leader. RMC is a brilliant concept that has been tested nationally with results that have cut office referrals by as high as 80% and dropout rates by 50%. Now, principals and selective teachers can use this book with steps for implementation to prepare the entire faculty or even the district in this wonderful program that truly takes students from a stage of entitlement to a real-life world of being responsible for their own actions from day one."
"This book goes into great detail on how to establish a schoolwide discipline program and the step-by-step process for introduction and implementation. Involving students and parents are key elements outlined in the book for ownership in the program. I would recommend this book for any school, administrator, or teacher seeking ways to improve schoolwide discipline and effective classroom management."