Research Methods in Education
- Joseph Check - University of Massachusetts Boston, USA
- Russell K. Schutt - University of Massachusetts Boston, USA
Educational Research Methods | Research Methods (General)
Research Methods in Education is an innovative new text for teaching introductory research methods that addresses emerging instructional needs. It weaves actual research "stories" into the presentation of research topics, and it emphasizes validity, authenticity, and practical significance as overarching research goals. This tripartite conceptual framework honours traditional quantitative approaches while reflecting the growing popularity of qualitative studies, mixed method designs, and school-based techniques.
The text is divided into three sections: Foundations of Research (5 chapters), Research Design and Data Collection (7 chapters), and Analyzing and Reporting Data (3 chapters). Together they provide a comprehensive, conceptually unified, and well-written introduction to the exciting but complex field of educational research.
Features and Benefits
- Each chapter begins with a research question that is addressed throughout the chapter to maintain students interest as the chapter develops
- Examples of published research studies related to the opening question are then used as examples throughout the chapter.
- Chapters conclude with a section on ethical considerations for the topics covered in that chapter.
- Abundant end-of-chapter questions and exercises in 4 sets: Discussion Questions, Practice Exercises, Web Exercises, and Developing a Research Proposal
- Strong ancillary support for instructors and students with testbank and PowerPoint slides, SAGE journal articles, self-quizzes, interactive exercises, and more.
A good supplimentary textbook
Brilliant well-written book. Easy to read students enjoyed this book and supported their learning.
Loved the examples and the additional resources.
This book provides a comprehensive guide for students undertaking reseach within education with text and structure that is both easy to follow and understand
I would definitely recommend this text to students undertaking reseach.
A good resource for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
More for an undergrad audience not post grad, But very good to refresh existing knowledge and keeping up to date
It seemed straightforward and was priced well for students
A very well written book that should be of interest to learners. I have highly recommended it to students but given the current economic climate, cannot insist on an essential status
This book is very comprehensive. All chapters are enough detailed for students. Especially, the appendicies are very usefull for teachers and students.
For example, App. A (Questions to ask about reseacrh article) and App. B (How to read a research article) have critical importance for all researchers, master and doctoral students.
And also, In my opinion, Using the web site of the book (Instructor Teaching Site) can support students' effective learning, increase the course quality and make to easy the course management.
I will recommend Research Method in Education as supplemental book in my course at this term
A good book for those in the early stages of research methods for education. Clearly written with simplicity in mind which takes you nicely through the different stages of research.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 4: Conceptualization and Measurement
Chapter 6: Causation and Research Design