Introduction to Policing
- Steven M. Cox - Western Illinois University, USA
- David Massey - Ocean Pines Police, Wor-Wic Community College
- Connie M. Koski - Oglala Lakota College
- Brian D. Fitch - California State University, Fullerton, USA, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Woodbury University
Criminal Justice | Police Studies
Written and extensively updated by an author team that includes former and current law enforcement officers, Introduction to Policing focuses on the thought-provoking, contemporary issues that underscore the challenging and rewarding world of policing. The authors skillfully balance research and practice to offer students an overview of both the foundations of policing and the expanded role of today’s police officers. Evolving with the modern realities of the field, the Fourth Edition discusses major new and ongoing impactful events, such as the political shift marked by the U.S. presidential election of 2016 and expanded coverage of women and minorities in policing. The accessible and engaging writing style, coupled with unique coverage of the issues of policing in multicultural communities, the impact of technology on policing, and policing strategies and procedures, make this bestselling book a must-have for policing courses.
- Digital Option / Courseware
SAGE Vantage is an intuitive digital platform that delivers this text’s content and course materials in a learning experience that offers auto-graded assignments and interactive multimedia tools, all carefully designed to ignite student engagement and drive critical thinking. Built with you and your students in mind, it offers simple course set-up and enables students to better prepare for class.
- Assignable Video with Assessment
Assignable video (available with SAGE Vantage) is tied to learning objectives and curated exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life. Watch a sample video now.
- Assignable Video with Assessment
- LMS Cartridge (formerly known as SAGE Coursepacks): Import this title’s instructor resources into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Don’t use an LMS? You can still access all of the same online resources for this title via the password-protected Instructor Resource Site. Learn more.
- SAGE Lecture Spark: Designed to save you time and ignite student engagement, these free weekly lecture launchers focus on current event topics tied to key concepts in Criminal Justice. Access this week’s topic.
For additional information, custom options, or to request a personalized walkthrough of these resources, please contact your sales representative.
LMS cartridge included with this title for use in Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
The LMS cartridge makes it easy to import this title’s instructor resources into your learning management system (LMS). These resources include:
- Test banks
- Editable chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides
- Sample course syllabi
- Lecture notes
- All tables and figures from the textbook
You can still access all of the same online resources for this title via the password-protected Instructor Resource Site.
The open-access Student Study Site makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime. It offers flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, as well as learning objectives that reinforce the most important material.
“A well-documented text that is written by real-life practitioners with lots of experience and knowledge in the policing fields. I would also say the text is very detailed and covers all aspects of policing. It has hands on interactive tools for students as well as for the instructor’s resources.”
“Current, well organized, well written, easy to understand.”
“A concise, well-written, and inexpensive introductory text.”
“This textbook covers all of the overarching topics that an introductory textbooks should, with enough detail to provide substance for upper undergraduate courses. This textbook can be used for all levels of undergraduate study.”
“I would describe the text as a well-organized, relevant, and well tough out text book that is well suited to the mindset of students, many of whom are aspiring law enforcement candidates.”
“Introduction to Policing is one of the better introductory books on the market that benefits from a collaboration of authors having both academic and professional experience.”
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1. Policing in the United States
Chapter 2. A Brief History of Police in the United States