Essential Biological Psychology
- Jim Barnes - University of Bedfordshire, UK
Behavioral Neuroscience | Biological/Physiological Psychology (General) | Neuro-psychology
Drawing on the latest exciting research, Essential Biological Psychology provides students with a solid grasp of the relationship between mind and behaviour, and a detailed understanding of the underlying structure and physiological mechanisms that underpin it. The functions of the nervous system are explained and implications for health are explored. Throughout the book, Jim Barnes encourages students to evaluate essential concepts and theoretical issues.
- key concepts highlighted throughout the text enables students to grasp the fundamental knowledge and understanding of the structures and functions of the human nervous system that are relevant to the study of psychology
- the snapshot of key studies detailed in the textboxes allow critical evaluation of the role of physiology in human behaviour against a backdrop of up to date research
- clear explanations of the key methods in the text give students an appreciation of the contributions made by the different approaches and research methods that are used in biological psychology
- memory maps and diagrams within the text encourage learning and allow students to formulate memory aids to assist recall in exam conditions
- a companion website consists of PowerPoint lecture slides and a testbank for teachers (50 questions per chapter) as well as interactive self-assessment testbank for students (10 questions per chapter)
- Multiple choice question-based test banks arranged by chapter that can be used for student assessment
- PowerPoint™ Slides arranged by chapter, which capture key points as well as figures and tables
- Interactive Multiple Choice Questions for on-going self-assessment
Clear and beautiful book. It is especially useful for undergraduate students.
I like how clear the book presents the facts. Even though the book lacks of some visual material, I found it more understandable through the highlight and the schemas that were being used. The chapters does not go beyond what my sophomore students would need.
This text makes excellent use of case studies to contextualise theory.
Nice book with clear descriptions. Easy for students to read and understand
This is the ideal text for undergraduate students as well as Postgraduate level who needs to have a very good understanding of the biology of Psychology. It is written in such a way that even the second language student can understand the text. A must for every Psychology student.
This is a very attractively presented book with some very colourful and clear diagrams. Jim Barnes's text is straightforward and concise, so provides essential information quickly with economy.
Excellent recomended reading at the course in cognitive developmental psychology, gives an extra "spice" to the other litterature.
Determined to advanced for student level
Provides an interesting overview of the mind and behaviour, including an exploration of structures and mechanisms
A very useful, all round text
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: Neurons, Neurotransmission and Communication