Doing Qualitative Research
- David Silverman - Visiting Professor at the University of Technology, Sydney and King’s College, London, Emeritus Professor at Goldsmiths’ College, Visiting Professor Emeritus at Leeds University Business School and Adjunct Professor at Queensland University of Technology
Qualitative Research (General)
What’s new in this edition:
· Fully interactive digital field guide including video tutorials and real data to practice with
· An improved structure that takes you step-by-step form start to finish
· An overview and practical guidance on mixed methods and working with different kinds of data
The free digital field guide secures its place as the ‘take this everywhere’ textbook that supports students both in the classroom and in the field providing access via tablet/phone/laptop for easy access to:
- A readymade bibliography of qualitative research contained in SAGE journal articles curated by the author, to enrich reading and offer top research articles to cite;
- Definitions to explain key concepts and methods to deepen understanding of what is discussed in the text;
- David's quick, practical video tips and instructional guidance for when students are in the field (or preparing to go into it). David steps in as an instant supervisor to give encouragement and avoid common pitfalls;
- A treasure chest of online resources and weblinks chosen by David offering expert guidance on how to do research and do it better. These include research websites and resources as well as insider guides from trusted experts, links to organizations/software, online text/articles;
- Datasets provide students with research data on which to practice organizing, analysing, and drawing conclusions;
-'Cheat sheets' and reflective trackers students can use to monitor their progress and plan and manage projects.
*Interactivity only available through Vitalsource eBook included as part of paperback product (ISBN 9781526441614).
Access not guaranteed on second-hand copies (as access code may have previously been redeemed).
Whether you are a scared neophyte research student or a more experienced qualitative researcher this is an excellent and invaluable and most importantly accessible text that will open the lid of a treasure box of resources. You need this book.
In principle it is impossible to write a method book that will be valid forever. In practice, David Silverman did just that. Adjustments in new editions only fine-tune the text that contains everything that a qualitative researcher needs to know.
This is an excellent textbook that gives students very practical advice of how to conduct qualitative analysis in a thoughtful way. Silverman's vast experience within qualitative methods gives the text a clarity and overview that one can only admire.
An essential guide for anyone new to or brushing up on qualitative methodology. This clear, student-centered guide offers first person insights and true-to-life stories that prepare readers for all of the surprises that await researchers in the field. From the ins and outs of designing a study to writing up and publishing analysis (and much more), this book is an accessible, soup-to-nuts account of a complex set of methods we call qualitative research.
David Silverman has updated this now classic text on qualitative research methods. The resulting 5th edition has further simplified the format and improved the accessibliity to students from a wide range of experience and knowledge of qualitative research methods. Over the many years we have used this text on our postgraduate methods courses, students have found it to be comprehensive and useful whatever stage of their degree, and particularly helpful for those students with little prior knowledge of qualitative research. Even for experienced researchers Silverman provides an invaluable handbook for easy reference.