Criminal Law and Procedure
A Courtroom Approach
- Stephanie A. Jirard - Shippensburg University, USA
Crime and Law
Written by a former federal prosecutor and public defender, Criminal Law and Procedure: A Courtroom Approach introduces students to the essentials of criminal law and procedure by illuminating the legal issues justice professionals face before, during, and after a criminal trial. Through the examination of statutes, edited case excerpts, and recent constitutional interpretation of black letter law, the text bridges the gap between learning criminal procedure and applying criminal law.
Drawing from author Stephanie A. Jirard’s vast experience in both the courtroom and the classroom, Criminal Law and Procedure gets students to think critically about real-world issues and practice applying the law in a just and meaningful way. Accessible and engaging, this text presents criminal law and procedure as an exciting opportunity to have a direct, positive impact on our communities and the criminal justice system.
- “Making the Courtroom Connection” boxes help students apply the legal concepts they learn to real-life issues facing law enforcement, the court system, and correctional institutions today.
- Edited case excerpts connect criminal law and procedure with current case material on relevant topics so students can see the impact of judicial decision making.
- “Applying the Law to the Facts” boxes engage students’ critical thinking skills and enhance their logical problem-solving abilities by providing opportunities to apply the rule of law to different scenarios.
- “Springboard for Discussion” prompts spark conversations and invite students to contrast the moral, ethical, and legal implications of criminal law and procedure in a larger context.
- Problem-solving exercises at the end of each chapter provide students with opportunities to test themselves on the material before a formal assessment.
- Active Learning Exercises in the Instructor’s Manual enable professors to offer additional opportunities for experiential learning.
Give your students the SAGE edge!
SAGE edge offers a robust online environment featuring an impressive array of free tools and resources for review, study, and further exploration, keeping both instructors and students on the cutting edge of teaching and learning. Learn more at edge.sagepub.com/jirard.
SAGE edge for instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students with:
- a password-protected site for complete and protected access to all text-specific instructor resources;
- test banks that provide a diverse range of ready-to-use options that save you time. You can also easily edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions;
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course;
- exclusive access to full-text, influential SAGE journal articles, which have been carefully selected to tie important research and scholarship to chapter concepts;
- video and audio links that meet the learning needs of today’s media-savvy students and bring concepts to life; an
- Active Learning Exercises in the Instructor's Manual offer additional opportunities for experiential learning.
SAGE edge for students enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime;
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts; and
- Quizzes that allow students to practice and assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention.
“Concise and professional yet motivational for student learning and instructor engagement. I think the examples, activities, and scenarios are the critical pieces that make this text stand out.”
“Clear, engaging and written well…easy to follow for students and instructors. It is a very thorough text and I like how the text presents the rule of law…”
“One of the best textbooks I have seen in this field. Not only is it set up well, but it clearly explains the theories and rules of law and supports the information presented with case law and rule life applications.”
“Excellent, new approach to connecting criminal procedure and law with current case material and relevant topics for new generational learners. It is different than most criminal procedure textbooks available in that it is modern and provides good context for new generation learners.”
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 3: Criminal law basics