Understanding A Cultural Perspective
- Martin J. Packer - Universidad De Los Andes, Colombia
Child Development | Child development | Developmental Psychology (General)
Every child is born into a community, a society with a culture, in which they will live, grow and develop. Cultures lead to differences in children's physical development, and are also an essential component of every child's psychological development.
Taking a chronological approach, from prenatal development to adolescence, your knowledge of developmental psychology will grow with the child.
To help you in your studies
· Social, cognitive, emotional and physical aspects of development are interwoven to help you connect the material
· You can read case studies from across the globe to enable you to compare cultures
· Key research studies are highlighted to help you get to grips with the theory
· You’ll be encouraged to ‘Stop and think’ and engage your critical skills
With this new edition we've reduced the number of chapters so it covers only what you need to know and we've added a glossary to help with understanding.
This textbook is essential reading for undergraduate students taking an introductory course in child development or developmental psychology.
Instructor Resources (Log-in needed)
- Test bank - a set of questions, for directed learning or assessment purposes as well as suggested activities for seminars.
- PowerPoint slides - to get you started with your lecture material
Student Resources (Free to access)
- Video links - URLs of the videos featured in the book with commentary from the author
- 120+ Multiple-Choice Questions - designed for revision and exam preparation
- Glossary flashcards with an audio function to check pronunciation of unfamiliar terms
I lead a Child Development first year module and find the white, western, middle class approach to child development so frustrating. What a refreshing book.
An essential read for level 4 students who do not have a lot of experience within the sector. Adopted in the LRC.
This book is an essential for anyone teaching child development
good level of detail on a wide variety of topics. suitable for various levels of study
Understanding the issues relating to cultural diversity and levelling up for disadvantaged children covered in this text from infancy to teenage children
Sample Materials & Chapters
The early development of the Nso farmers and the Efe hunter-gatherers