Bringing Your Learning Community to Life
A Road Map for Sustainable School Improvement
- Stephen S. Kaagan - Michigan State University, USA
- Linda Headley
Professional Learning Communities | School Change, Reform, & Restructuring | Team Building
Leadership and organizational development specialists Stephen S. Kaagan and Linda Headley provide school and council leaders with a concrete road map and numerous tools for creating and sustaining a PLC focused on improving student learning. Readers will find everything they need to get a PLC up and running, including:
- Specific tasks that help educators "learn by doing" as they create a PLC
- Practice exercises for conducting productive meetings, building individual and group communication skills, and shaping the group's identity
- Brief case studies of problems encountered by educators to spark discussion and support educators' growth as learners and leaders
- Guidelines for appropriately pacing the chapters, tasks, and exercises with your faculty
Bringing Your Learning Community to Life is an invaluable manual for building capacity and carrying out the work of creating an effective, sustainable PLC focused on continuous improvement.
"This book is structured for the busy educator! The authors invite readers to journey toward professionalizing learning spaces. From the beginning of the journey (wherever you are) through the high points, low points, midpoint, and endpoint, the reader is converted to the PLC way. A must-read for staff developers, instructional coaches, school improvement coordinators, and human relations specialists."
“Excellent cases support and clarify each point, and the examples are very true to life and useful to the reader. The timeframes were also very true to life—change does not occur overnight, and the book clearly states this”
Sample Materials & Chapters
Kaagan_Bringing Your Learning_Preface
Kaagan_Bringing Your Learning_Ch1