A Practical Guide to Effective School Board Meetings
- Rene S. Townsend - Consultant
- James R. Brown - Glendale Unified School District, Retired - Superintendent, Leadership Associates consultant
- Walter L. Buster - Clovis Unified School District, Retired - Superintendent, Leadership Associates consultant, California State University, Fresno, USA
Foreword by Michael Kirst
Local Authorities | School Management
If board meetings are something you simply "get through" so you can get on with your "real" work, this book is a must.
As chair, you can turn board meetings into productive, result-getting events that help you focus on teaching and learning to achieve your school's goals with the support of this realistic, detailed, and entertaining book! The authors, having chaired over 1,000 board meetings between them, discuss:
- Creating clarity and building the team to increase effectiveness and support positive working relationships
- Developing general operating procedures
- Carrying out effective board meetings
- Critical aspects of the meeting itself, as well as tips on conducting closed sessions
- Post-meeting follow-up and how these activities affect and influence the culture of the district
Chairpeople, board members, leadership staff and community members will find this guide invaluable for creating effective and meaningful board meetings.
"This practical guide supports the design and conduct of board meetings in ways that focus the management of the district on its teaching and learning mission. The authors identify collaborative strategies and workable solutions for dealing with difficult and challenging circumstances."
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: Focusing on Teaching and Learning